Friday, December 12, 2014

Forward motion

I have been fussing with Cloister Garden until I doubt there is room for more. There are two voices in my head, one says EDIT the other says go all the way and farther. Somewhere in the middle is the end of this design process. I'm ready to quilt it, esp before I start to lose interest. So far so good:






The quilting will bring out the cloister bldgs and help to balance the strength of the flowers. I believe. This is my second full on raw edge fussy cut quilt and I'm still teaching myself  how to do it.

I'm also working on a couple of small lap size contemporary quilts. One is utilizing some Pennsylvania Dutch fabrics I happened to pick up in my fabric ramblings:




I will want an Amish or PA Dutch style of patchwork so we'll see where this goes...probably simple...it is destined to be hand quilted in my 18" hoop. I'v gone through 3 different hand quilting projects, looking for a satisfying experience. I hope this is it or it will go in the pile of 'yet to be quilted' quilts. The idea for this quilt dawned on me while rummaging for the fabrics for this other lap sized contemporary:



This one will be a log cabin variation using those flowers each for the center of each block. This one could go either way, machine or hand quilting. Much will depend on how many seams there are. It's still just an idea but I am going to cut out those flower squares, next, no matter what. It's the best use of that 1/4 yard which is the most common size I buy.

Here is one of my earliest quilts, made for a doll bed about 2001:


I know it's not close up but it might be my first free motion machine quilting, on the border, which makes it more likely 2000. I was in love with pink and brown quilts for a while there! My mom has my Chocolate Covered Cherry quilt on her bed, along with another I'd made for my step dad. None are actually bed sized. I just dont have the patience or the room. My very first quilt was a miniature 9 patch. I'm comfortable expressing myself in smaller sizes.

Wishing you the celebration of Light!!

Love, Sue



5 comments:

  1. I still love Cloister Garden - can't wait to see how it evolves with quilting.Your plans for lap quilts look interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kaja, and you can be sure I will continue posting the progress of all of them. I appreciate your kind remarks!

      Delete
  2. How did I like ... looks gorgeous and so incredibly ... It will Quilty blanket bedspread? I already look forward to continue ... :)))

    Most do Amish quilting like a very long serious work, I was recently at a master class "Hand quilting like the Amish"

    Very cute quilt, Sue, and where you can see the previous work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to my photos on my facebook page and browse a bit you will see many of my creations. I want to thank you for taking the time to comment so kindly!

      Если Вы пойдете в мои фотографии на моей странице Facebook и рассмотрите немного, то Вы будете видеть многие мои создания. Я хочу поблагодарить Вас за не торопление, чтобы прокомментировать настолько любезно!

      Delete
    2. Also, it is approx 24" x 24" (imperial measurement). It will be art for a wall hanging. And I also love Amish quilt work!

      Кроме того, это - приблизительно 24 x 24 дюйма (имперское измерение). Это будет искусство для настенного ковра. И я также люблю амишскую работу стеганого одеяла!

      Delete