Saturday, March 28, 2015

Here is the next step I took with "Pile o' Leaves":





Some years ago when I was doing a lot more hand dying, I developed an idea involving 3-5 overdyes and then bleaching out a design. It was started in 2005. The strips I chose to go with it are more of my multi-overdyed pieces. My style is to do 1/16 yd in ziploc or bread bags, using soda ash water and a pour over of one or more dyes. Low water immersion its called. I had a lot of fun doing that for a while. The past few years I've done a lot of simple tie dye, mostly for a friend. Clothes, sheets, blankets and a pair of curtains. There is a new order of blankets coming, so I have determined to also do some more complex hand dyeing with quilting fabric in mind.

Since I have retired I find my mind freed up and the ideas coming faster than I can finish them. I've realized the importance of making art quilts with entirely original fabrics, hand dyed by myself. The only thing I don't do is weave the fabric. But starting from white cloth, these quilts are entirely my own, and that is satisfaction. Please, don't think I'm against prints! I love them equally, in a different way.

Speaking of prints, this as yet unnamed patchwork is moving along too:



We're busy trying to get our cooking system going for the maple syrup making, so thats all for now, folks!

I'll hook up with Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday

Sue

1 comment:

  1. I love the complexity of these fabrics that have been over-dyed multiple times.

    ReplyDelete