Saturday, April 25, 2015

Deconstructing clothes, bleach discharge and wood carving

Well, joining SAQA has certainly made an impact in my life already. The unexpected invitation from Paula Swett....dinner with the PA SAQA members and the gallery exhibition's opening night...the meeting with the PA SAQA rep, Meredith Armstrong at her home in Danville last Sunday. All day Monday I reflected on the rapid changes overtaking my life. I realized that it was time to move to the next level of original creativity.

I started out the week with bleach discharge on my mind. A large piece of commercial fabric my mom gave me winked at me, and that always means something is coming. It immediately made me think of bleach discharge. Here is a picture of it:




I decided to carve a stamp resembling one of the flowers of the fabric:



I dug up a couple of existing retail stamps I had and used them plus the carved one to do this:



Using deconstructed cotton shirts from Salvation Army, I tried my new stamp and a couple of others on the smaller yoke pieces. Some is from the collar pieces that were just wide enough to accomodate the smaller stamp. I'm saving the bigger shirt piecs for less experimental work.

I started with Clorox cleanup, but of course it was too runny:



I ditched that, and because my Clorox gel pen was dried up I got some brand new Soft Scrub for the rest. The one above I re-discharged with the Soft Scrub, slightly offset to the original watery prints. It will be useful so I feel as though I saved a bad first job. Yay!

In each case, to stop the bleaching action I used Anti-chlor, or Bleach Stop, 2 TBSP to the gallon of water. Rinse the piece first to get all the bleach residue off, then plunge into the gallon of bleach stop and stir it around on and off for a while. From start to finish it was probably 4 days. I didn't think I had gotten as good results as even these, so when they came out of the laundy and each piece came through I was heartily encouraged.




Not sure which technique interfered to make this interesting blend, probably batik remains that are resisting, giving a cool smoky violet gray pairing with the pale sanguine color left behind after the bleach had its way. This is why I do it, this cool unexpected thing that might happen just makes my day.

The next few are from my hand carved stamp:






Tina Rey gave me the next store-bought stamp:





I took this piece and colored it in with fabric markers:



I trimmed it and we'll see what happens next! Is it whole in itself, or part of a larger whole? That is the question.


*******************************************************************************

Here is a couple shots of my Pennsylvania Dutch lap quilt that I'm handquilting.







 I got all the center rings done! Now just the borders to do. I hope a certain someone in my life will love it when its done. I'm going to be finishing up a lot of my patchwork in the hopes of branching into a different fiber art direction. I am feeling more encouraged than I've been in years.

I'm hooking up with Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Fridays...if you haven't visited her weekend blog, please do! Lots of people sharing there:

Nina Marie's Off The Wall Friday

Wishing you warm days and cool nights. And love.

Sue

2 comments:

  1. Try the Gel Bleach not soft scrub with pumice. Try gel auto dishwashing liquid. Some blues will no discharge at all. On Dharma's website is a chart that tells which of their procion dyes discharge and what color results. Have you tried a product called Decolorant from Dharma?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bleaching and stamping experiments, Sue, thanks for sharing the results!

    ReplyDelete