Saturday, October 24, 2015

Playing with colors and autumn inspirations

There are 3 shades of yellow overdyed with turquoise, a couple fuschia overdyed with turquoise, for a total of 16, 15"x 15" squares:








I believe the fabric is a length of sugar sacking, a blend of linen and cotten that I purchased in abundance at auction. I mix primaries: 3 yellow, 3 blue, 1 red and 1 black, using MX dyes. I'll rinse them any time after 2 hours; this time it will be 15 hours. The longer the better, and I supersized the soda ash for instant strike value. The dry fabric was stuffed in a ziplock, 1/4 cup ash poured on it and scrunched til I was sure it was wet through, then wrung back out, given a fluff and gently layered into its bag. I then squirted a yellow all about, rubbing some to soften edges, and let them all sit in their yellows for a couple hours. Then I went back in and squirted the turquoise all over everything, again rubbing some to blur edges. In the end I had 2 left and decided to go for fuchsia first with the turquoise overlay. I added no water. I used gloves but didn't remember until I had a nice orange stripe on my finger. I can't wait to see if my idea worked. If it didn't it's because I may have rubbed too much. I'll know in a few hours.


This is the piece I dyed the other day, for another project, that gave me the inspiration for the above dyes that are in process:




It looks like the treetops when you are looking directly overhead, I hope I got the current ones right. However, the job is done, the 'dye is cast' and they are what they are, Going to start rinsing now.


 There is also one almost finished yellow quilt:







There is one patchwork about to be joined and then sandwiched. I'm having too much fun!








The pieces are now cut out and the 12" blocks will be a quick assembly.  Each block is 4 6" squares, of which one is a peacock from the original fabric. There are many weights of cotton, including decorator weight, but no synthetics. My original aversion to polyesther remains, regardless of the resurgance in popularity of synthetic quilts.

I've never been known for following the crowd.

For now we are going hiking. We are revisiting the one from yesterday that kicked my ass. Go us!
  Happy Autumn!

Love, Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment