Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Making an art quilt for the Outside My Window challege

The Quiltart list is talking blogs at the moment. Perfect reason for a new post! 

I thought I would show a little of my inspiration for a challenge I participated in on the Quiltart list last spring. The challenge is called  'Outside my Window'.

 This is the view I see from my kitchen window. Just the lowest shrubs have leaves so this is mid April, still chilly out, and late afternoon, perhaps 5:00 pm. There is an evergreen ground cover growing back there that was planted decades ago and has naturalized since then. It is center left, mid ground.




 I had trouble with the angled trees, although they are plentiful, because for some reason they detracted from what I perceived was the beauty of the view. This was an early version:



Boring! Looks a bit like a Grecian temple =:o I knew there were good bones there so I didn't give up!

Here is the finished version:


I woke up one morning with the plan for the rolled blind at the top all settled in my head. All the pieces came together easily and it was a joy to work on.

Thanks, Quiltart list, for the encouragement to be involved! I had a good time!

Quiltart

It always feels good when everything comes together, like an open door, or window, letting the flow move unimpeded. I know retirement has freed up something vital in me and I'm grateful for that feeling...a certain lack of anxiety...because I'm enjoying artmaking so much more than ever before!

I wish you freedom

Sue
suzkpa@yahoo.com

 https://www.facebook.com/suzkpa
















5 comments:

  1. The rolled blind is beautifully crafted, and gives that "out my window" perspective. Love how you created the trees, and all fabrics selected. I enjoy hearing the artist's process of creating art.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a moment to wonder why the second quilt was so much better. The age old Cropping!
    It looks great now! Bet you're happy. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blog looks great but you need a calmer background. This one is distracting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hurt your eyes, I'll see what I can do to improve it!

      Delete