Saturday, November 8, 2014

Hello quilting friends!

Now that Dia de los Muertos is finished and on its way in the world I turned my attention to my work space. I hit a blank wall with the purple and orange 'winged square' quilt after I added the 1/2" dk purple border, so I hung it on the wall where I can study it for a while:


Once I hung it up I saw exactly how I could quilt the large lavendar areas. That made me really happy. Beside it is the peach begonia that put on such a sumptuous show this summer.

In order to make room for winged square to hang on the wall I had to take down :






The fabric its lying on is the backing I pulled for it. First I will do more surface design contrast work, and then it gets the sandwich treatment. Then I'll add a border cut from the lighter backing material. I think I'll use 2 shades of purple and a grey for the quilting. For starters!

I cleaned and oiled my sturdy old Bernina, she is strong and tough and ready to continue quilting this personal favorite quilt that is also all hand dye and tie dye:



Above, the yellow tie dye quilt is lying on top of the third quilt I ever made. I was/am in love with Kaffe Fassett and it is one of his patterns. It was my first machine made quilt and the only bed size quilt I've made but its been on the bed at one layer or another since we were married, April 8, 2000.


I enjoy quilting this yellow quilt, it's happy yellow is a favorite and lifts my spirits. I feel peaceful while I'm working on it. It is called "New Native American".

I moved my cacti indoors for the winter and they are keeping me company across the back of the countertop. Under the ironing board/table el are begonia and geranium that I'll over winter in the cool kitchen with us. The sun shines on them every afternoon for a while and they seem very happy. Some are in bloom and have been for weeks. A few are gifts given years ago. They are good working companions:



If thats not enough, I have the front and back of a 36 X 36 white wholecloth to be handquilted waiting at the back of my ironing board for a good jumping off point for the center. Art makes life good. I think once January gets here I will mix some dyes and see what happens. Hopefully nothing to the white wholecloth! I have a pile of different cottons and linens and the sugar feedsacks and maybe there will be batik involved. Mulling.

I wish you peace!

Sue

6 comments:

  1. The shelving with fabric is eye candy for sure, Sue! I also love my old Bernina. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, I did't know you had a blog. I love what you are doing. Stop by and visit mine some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norma, it's always good to see you! I have been visiting your blog regularly. Can't wait to see what you do with your latest hand dyes.

      Delete
  3. Sue, I LOVE the one you took down, with the lavender borders! Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Frida! Its my focus right now and even my husband likes the bright colors and is rooting for it.

    ReplyDelete