Sunday, May 31, 2015

Fabric tile patchwork

Making tile patches is too much fun. I have been very encouraged by reading about medieval tiles. They seem quite similar to what I am making:

https://www.google.com/search?q=medieval+tiles&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gBtrVdSiDsK1sAT5yILoDw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg

 I have been stamping and discharging and painting and have made some great leaps forward. These results from SoftScrub cleanser are the best so far:






These have not been colored in with fabric markers yet, they are showing the pure discharge color. One of these shirts discharges to a rosy pink but I can't remember which one.

Maybe I shouldn't have pinned them on yet since now I have to spread everything out to add these new ones:




 I will keep moving it about until I'm satisfied anyway.

These new ones are painted with acrylic fabric paint:







They are ready to cut out and place.

Here is a new stamp I'm carving:




It's getting there. You can see a couple of tile patches with this imprint.

So thats my week! What are you doing? I'll join this post to Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday

http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/#


Happy May 31! Pray for peace.

Love, Sue








3 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, These are very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I am not previously familiar with your work I am struggling to understand what I am seeing. It looks like you have deconstructed a shirt/shirts to then stamp with the discharge paste, then cutting up and hand coloring the discharged area with some means of coloration. Is that correct? I, too, have been playing with carved stamps and working to include my designs in my work. It is fun to see what others have done to utilize carved stamps in design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the connection to the medieval tiles on your link page but this also has a much more modern feel - a great combination. I love where you are going with this.

    ReplyDelete