Friday, December 11, 2015

Mid-December procrastination

So, if you are like me, you have a few gifts left to make for Christmas. I've been taking my sweet time, rolling the dice that nothing will come between me and the quilting I have to do to accomplish my holiday goals. In the meantime I haven't been idle. Here is an update on a previous piece. It is made from strips of cotton that I wove together and hand dyed, then mixed it with a gorgeous aqua blue, gold and olive African hand woven and dyed piece I'd been cherishing. Nothing else would do. It started with the search for the complementary fabric(s):



Making fabric choices, I created a landscape background, but had no focal point for so much abstraction. It needed to be something more, or else why? Boring.




So I removed the landscape background and decided on the one fabric I described above. I cut it into matching strips, alternated them, then removed one row of two alternating stripes, cut them into squares (7) and placed them about. I also had extra of my own hand dyed strips so I pared them down and made a geometric foundation and floated the squares across it, some up, some down:









It's all just fused now, hanging on the wall for scrutiny. I've used brown marker to shadow certain repeating areas, and would free motion brown in those same area to more well define the edges of the shadows. I'm satisfied.

What do you think?

Hooking up with Nina Marie and Off the Wall Friday

http://ninamariesayre.blogspot.com/

Have a great weekend! I'm up to 2.4 miles per walk with my husband and have lost 2 lbs. My camera program, which had mysteriously stopped functioning properly, began to function properly, so now I will be taking nature photos again. I have albums on my Facebook page that you are welcome to browse, as well as loads more fiber art pictures from over the years:

https://www.facebook.com/suzkpa

I'd love to be friends with you there as well.

Sue

For further information regarding any quilt of mine that may catch your eye, please email me at suzkpa@yahoo.com

2 comments:

  1. I love where you've got to with this. The starting fabrics are so strong but you have ended up with a good balance between them. The floating squares are a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kaja! I'm sorry I didnt reply sooner...I thought to do it then promptly forgot. I visited your page the other day and left a note.

      Delete